ABOUT ARLINGTON STUDENTS CHESs
Arlington Students Chess is an independent, community-based, nonprofit corporation. Its central purpose is to foster, organize, and support the play and instruction of chess among students in Arlington County, Virginia.
Arlington Students Chess (ASChess) serves K-12 students and beyond but pays special attention to the formation and maintenance of chess clubs and activities for the early elementary school years, when minds are most open to the visually powerful logical algorithms of chess.
The goal of ASChess is to sustain some chess activity in each Arlington school and to offer chess activities to all Arlington students on the county level.
More specifically, ASChess aims to:
- establish and maintain chess contacts with Arlington County schools and youth organizations and offer help in setting up clubs
- broker cost-efficient purchase of chess equipment
- sponsor regular county-wide chess play on Saturdays, the Arlington Saturday Chess Club
- organize school team and individual match play; organize annual Arlington Scholastic Open chess tournament
- organize systematic visits of chess teachers to school classrooms (especially math classes) and chess clubs for introductory teaching
- organize grandmaster visits and simultaneous exhibitions, and chess master classes and lectures
- organize and support other chess-related activities in Arlington County